Adjustment of Status in the U.S.

Adjustment of Status allows certain nonimmigrants with specific immigration situations to apply for green cards without leaving the United States. Adjusting status eligibility and procedures depend on your immigration status and circumstances.

To start, you must be eligible for an immigrant visa category. Common categories include family petitions, employment petitions, and refugee/asylee. Make sure you meet all category requirements before applying. Depending on the type of visa you are applying for, the immigration application form you will need to file – typically, if a family member is petitioning you, they will use Form I-130.

The date you file your immigrant visa request will become the priority date in your case. Visas have a yearly limit which are controlled by the U.S. Department of State through the Visa Bulletin. The Visa Bulletin is updated once a week with the list of types of visas available for Adjustment of Status. You need to keep an eye on the notice for changes to your priority date.

Once the priority date is current, you can file for the Adjustment of Status with Form I-485 and provide all the requested proof and support documents with the associated filing fees to USCIS. With this form approved, you can become a resident and get a green card.

USCIS will contact you to let you know if they need something from you. Whether it is to inform you of your biometrics appointment, request additional documentation or information, and, if requested, to attend an interview. USCIS reviews applications and supporting documentation within their established processing times and their decision will be communicated to the address you marked as your point of contact.

If your case for Adjustment of Status is approved, you will receive your green card in the mail!

It’s important to consult with an expert immigration attorney for the specific plan of action for your case. If you are in the Dallas – Forth Worth area, book your appointment with the J. Molina Law Firm today.