J. Molina Law Firm

Family Petition for Parents and Siblings

A Family Petition for your parents and siblings to come to the United States involves a complex process and may be subject to changes in immigration laws and regulations, depending on the specific circumstances of your case. If you want to petition for your parents or siblings, here are some general standards and steps that you should take:

You must be a U.S. citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident (green card holder) to petition for your parents or relatives. If you are a U.S. citizen, you can petition for your siblings if you are at least 21 years old. Green Card holders cannot directly petition for siblings; they can only petition for their spouses and unmarried children.

When you want to request a Family Petition, you need to file Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative with USCIS. You will need to provide documentation proving the qualifying family relationship (birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc.) and pay the appropriate filing fees. You must also submit an Affidavit of Support Form I-864 to show that you can financially support your family members once they arrive in the U.S.

Your approved I-130 case will be placed in a queue based on the filing date or priority date. How long you must wait will depend on the type of family relationship and where your family member is from. The U.S. Department of State’s visa notice tells people when their visa numbers are ready. If your family members need a visa, they will go through the official process in their home country. This includes an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

As part of the immigration process, your family members will have physical exams and background checks done during the interview at the consulate or embassy. Your family members will be given an immigrant visa that will allow them to legally enter the U.S. if the case is approved after the consulate interview. Upon arrival, they will receive a Green Card.

Keep in mind that immigration policies and procedures can change over time, so it’s essential to consult with an expert immigration attorney to ensure you have the most updated immigration advice and plan of action. Book your initial consultation with the J. Molina Law Firm today; serving you from the Dallas – Fort Worth area to everywhere in the world!

Call Now Button