What Can I Do If My Petitioner Passed Away

Losing someone close to you can be very hard, and it can become harder if you add the uncertainty of an incomplete family petition or immigration process. If you have found yourself in the hard position of losing your immigration petitioner, don’t distress.

Because immigration rules and processes differ by nation and immigration status, it’s vital to see an immigration lawyer who can give you case-specific guidance. These general steps may be needed:

Contact an Immigration Attorney: Seek legal counsel immediately to discuss your specific circumstances and options. An attorney can help you understand the implications of your petitioner’s death on your immigration status and guide you through the necessary steps.

Explore Alternative Sponsorship: Depending on your specific immigration case, you may be able to find an alternative sponsor or substitute petitioner. Your attorney can advise you on the feasibility of this option.

Humanitarian Options: In some cases, you may be eligible for humanitarian forms of relief, such as a U visa (for crime victims), asylum, or other special programs. An attorney can help you explore these possibilities.

Notify USCIS: You should inform U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) about the petitioner’s death as soon as possible. They will need to update your immigration file, and if you have contacted an immigration attorney, you can update your process.

Gather Documentation: Collect all relevant documentation related to your immigration case, including any correspondence with USCIS, the petitioner’s death certificate, and any other relevant documents. These will be needed to update your case.

Maintain Legal Status: If your current immigration status is dependent on your sponsor, it’s essential to maintain your legal status in the country while you work on resolving your immigration situation. Falling out of status could have negative consequences on your ability to stay in the country.

Remember that every immigration case is different, and the best course of action depends on your position and the visa or immigration benefit you sought. Consult an immigration lawyer to make educated decisions and follow the law.