J. Molina Law Firm

Supplement B for Immigration Benefits

Supplement B, also known as the “Battered Spouse, Children, and Parents” provisions, is a part of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) that helps people who have been abused by a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident partner or parent, to get certain immigration benefits. This part of the law lets victims of domestic violence and abuse apply for legal immigration status without their abuser’s help.

Supplement B can help abuse victims in the visa process:

Self-petitioning: People who have been abused can file Form I-360, also known as VAWA, as a battered partner, child, or parent. This document lets abuse victims apply for immigration benefits without their abuser’s help or knowledge.

Qualifications for Evidence: In order to get Supplement B benefits, the victim must show proof of the abuse, their link with the abuser, and their good character. Police reports, medical records, statements from witnesses, and other papers that prove the abuse may be used as proof.

Confidentiality: To protect the victim’s privacy and safety, the visa process under Supplement B puts safety and privacy first.

Access to Services: People who have been abused and are asking for immigration benefits under Supplement B may also be able to get counseling, legal help, and help with housing through government agencies and non-profits.

Path to Permanent Residence: If the victim’s Supplement B petition is accepted, they may be able to change their status to that of a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) and then apply for U.S. citizenship.

When abuse victims are thinking about their immigration choices, they need to talk to a qualified immigration attorney to provide them with the best legal advice and plan of action. Call the J. Molina Law Firm – we will protect your American Dream!

In addition, victims of domestic abuse can get help from shelters, advocacy groups, and other support services in their area.

Call Now Button