Apply for a visa extension in the United States

with the best lawyer support in Dallas

Form I-539 is the form that a nonimmigrant should file to obtain a U.S. Visa extension.

If your authorized time of stay is about to expire and you cannot go back to your country, you should start your process now.

At J. Molina Law Firm you can submit your request easily in less than 24 hours. Then, you just have to wait for USCIS response.

Two passports on top of a table
A hand holding an American J-1 visa

Avoid Getting in Trouble With a Extension of Stay

Get ahead of time and start planning your visa extension at least 45 days before your authorized time of stay in the U.S. expires.

If your stay in the United States reaches its limit and you decide to stay in the country:

  • If you decide to stay after authorized time and then return to your home country, in the future that you want to return to the United States, your entry may be prohibited.
  • If you decide to stay you may be expelled (deported) from the United States.

You May File Form I-539 If:

You can start if:
In order to apply for an extension, you must meet with the following requirements:

  • You were legally admitted to the United States with a visa
  • Your immigration status remains valid
  • You have not committed any crime
  • You have not violated the conditions of your admission.
  • Your passport must be valid for the next 6 months

You cannot start if:
If any of the following cases apply to you, you may not apply for a visa extension.

  • Visa Waiver Program: This program allows citizens of 39 countries to travel to the United States for business or tourism for stays of up to 90 days without a visa.
  • Crew member (Non-Immigrant Visa D); These are non-immigrant visas for people working on board commercial vessels or international airlines in the United States. They provide the necessary services for normal operation and intent to leave the United States on the same boat or any other ship within 29 days.
  • In transit through the United States (non-immigrant visa C)
  • In transit through the United States without a visa (TWOV)
  • S. citizen Fiancé or dependent (non-immigrant K visa)
  • Informant (and accompanying family) on terrorism or organized crime (non-immigrant S visa).
Young woman smiling while listening to music in a university

Get the Documents for Your I-539 Form Ready

• Copy of passport identity page (photo identification page);
• Copy of the last I-94 Form;
• Copy of the last non-immigrant “visa” of the passport (if applicable).

Start your visa extension process easily with J. Molina Law Firm

Let Jorge Molina help you out. Schedule an appointment today!