J. Molina Law Firm

Voluntary Departure Considerations

If you’re in removal proceedings, you have two options: You can seek cancellation of removal, which stops deportation, or voluntary departure. With voluntary departure, you can leave the United States on your own terms. You will have to pay for and plan your own travel, but you may be given more time to make the necessary arrangements. 

Some non-citizens can get relief by leaving voluntarily, but they must ask for it, and it’s not always an option for everyone. You are not eligible for Voluntary Departure if the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has charged you with an aggravated felony and the Immigration Judge considers that charge is true. 

Voluntary Departure allows you to avoid an immediate entrance ban and leaves no record of deportation in your immigration history. However, if you try to return to the U.S., you may be found inadmissible and denied a visa.  

If you are denied Voluntary Departure or if the resolution of your Cancellation of Removal process is to be deported, you could be banned from entering the U.S. for 5 to 10 years, or even permanently in some cases. Also, if you don’t leave within the allowed time, you may have to pay a fine and be found inadmissible for other types of relief. 

Voluntary departure can be requested at any time, however early requests have fewer restrictions. Immigration court alternatives are also available for those who are willing to leave the country on their own will. If you want to know if you’re eligible for Voluntary Departure you can give us a call at 469-708-5800 or make an appointment online today to meet with an expert deportation defense attorney. We will dedicate ourselves to ensure that your American Dream is protected!