J. Molina Law Firm

What To Do With a Deportation Order

If you have been issued a deportation order, here is a non-exhaustive list with recommendations as to what you may soon need to do: 

  • Seek legal advice: The first thing you need to do is consult a legal professional, preferably an expert immigration attorney. An immigration attorney will be able to analyze your situation and give you guidance as to the best way to proceed with your deportation order. 
  • Appeal the deportation order: You should investigate whether you have the legal right to fight the decision to deport you. The steps involved in the appeals procedure and the amount of time for them to be processed might vary significantly from country to country and case to case. 
  • Apply for a stay of deportation: There are some circumstances in which you might be able to file an application for a stay of deportation, which would allow you to continue living in the United States on a temporary basis. If you have compelling grounds for staying, such as medical issues or familial ties, you might be able to get this approved. 
  • Think about alternative choices: Depending on the specifics of your case, there may be other options available for you, such as filing an application for asylum, seeking cancellation of removal, or pursuing another type of relief you may be eligible for. 

 If you have been given a deportation order, it is important that you act quickly because there may be strict deadlines for doing some of the options or other specific actions. Consulting with an experienced immigration attorney can help you better understand your choices and the actions you need to take to safeguard your legal rights. 

Call Now Button